Solar Light for Africa, Ltd. (SLA) is a non-profit 501(c)3 Christian organization whose mission is to transform lives and empower the people of Africa by providing light and energy using the natural power of the sun.
The SLA goal is to educate the public on the advantages of renewable energy for the benefit of impoverished communities throughout the world. Funding support for solar installations is provided through, but not limited to, Christian church outreach support, fraternal organizations, government agency grants, and corporate and individual donors.
Founded by Retired Episcopal Bishop Alden Hathaway in 1997, some of SLA’s accomplishments to date are:
- The provision of clean water to 3 hospitals and an orphanage.
- The decreasing of environmental and human degradation by providing a clean energy source, replacing the noxious fumes of kerosene lanterns that shorten people’s life spans.
- The aiding in economic development by providing light after the sun goes down for increased productivity and the enabling
students to study at night.
- The facilitating of young people’s access to the 21st century by providing solar power for computers and televisions, enabling global education and internet connection through satellites for more than 15 schools.
- The creating of goodwill ambassadors for “two-track diplomacy” through the organization of annual youth missions involving American and African high school and college-aged young people who live together for three weeks as they work in teams installing solar units.
- Power Partnerships which partner professionals and students with African citizens to provide solutions for various projects in 8 countries since 1997.
- The generating of an optimistic vision for Africa in the future when all people will have access to a clean energy source
provided by the natural rays of the sun
Solar Light for Africa, Ltd. – A long dedication in one place, lighting the way to education, economic stability, and better health for all!